Thursday, October 15, 2015

Sour Dough Bread

     I have spent time over the last six months testing and compiling recipes to share with you. I am so excited!  In addition to cooking, my life has been a whirlwind of kids' events, work, and trying to keep a peaceful house and marriage (sometimes, not too organized OR peaceful).  So, when I share my recipes and thoughts with you, be encouraged to stop for a few minutes each day and taste something savory and healthy.
     I have been enlightened on numerous occasions this year with friends that have come into our lives and continue to be in our lives.   I have read books that revitalize me, books that make me laugh, and books that leave me haunted and sorrowful, but thankful to be alive. I will share some of these amazing experiences with you. I have been reminded to take the time to connect with others.  Food and drink are great bonding enablers. Go ahead, break bread and sip with those you love. 

Easy Dutch Oven Sour Dough


     I love this recipe!  It is so easy.  Virtually NO EFFORT.  The results are a wonderful-crispy outer crust and a soft, springy middle.  Try to time the results so you can eat the loaf warm (this is the hardest part of the recipe- 22 hours from start to finish).  The bread is fine one day later to cut and toast, as well.  

     Ingredients
     
     17 1/2 ounces of bread flour, plus extra (about 4 1/4 cups)  I have used whole wheat flour, a combination of white and whole wheat, and even added wheat germ and nutritional yeast to the bread. I would start simple for your first go around.

     1/4 teaspoon active-dry yeast

     2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

     12 ounces of filtered water

     2 Tablespoons cornmeal

     Directions

     Whisk the flour, yeast and salt together in a large mixing bowl until well combined.  Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to sit for 19 hours.

     After 19 hours, turn the dough on a floured surface and punch down a few times.  Cover with a towel for 15 minutes.  After 15 minutes, shape the dough into a ball.  Place on the towel and sprinkle cornmeal over it until the ball is covered.   Close up the towel and allow the dough to rise for 2-3 hours. 

     Near the end of the final rising, heat the oven to 450 degrees and place the dutch oven in the oven to preheat.  Carefully transfer the dough to the oven, cover, and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for an additional 15 minutes.  Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving. 




No comments:

Post a Comment