Thursday, February 21, 2013

Eating healthy in winter

Brussels Sprouts
Winter makes me want to go outside and play.  But after many hours of snowboarding with the kids, I am hungry!  We come home ravenous.  I try not to have junk food accessible at these times, but instead,   throw together some quick, healthy meals for the kids to gobble up!

The first picture is just some peeled brussels sprouts that we first toss in olive oil and then cook in a pan for a few minutes.  Ensure they are only cooked until the leaves are bright green.  I then grate a bit of lemon zest over the peelings and sprinkle with sea salt.   This makes a great side dish.
Caraway- Apple Vegetables with Tofu

     I came up with this recipe after being exposed to some shaved carrots that were topped with caraway and a hard apple cider reduction sauce.  They were delicious!  

Caraway-Apple Vegetables with Tofu

2 onions, peeled and sliced thin
2 TBSP olive oil
1 clove garlic
2 carrots, shaved
1 cup green beans, cut into large pieces
1/2 tsp caraway seeds
1/4 cup hard apple cider
sea salt and ground pepper to taste

Start by dry frying the onions on low heat.  We are caramelizing the onions, so cook very slowly and add a little olive oil as soon as they start to brown.  When the onions are completely browned, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.  Add the carrots, green beans, caraway seeds, and apple cider and turn the heat up to medium.  Allow the mixture to boil until the liquid evaporates.  Season with salt and pepper.  Serve with crusty french bread, grilled tofu, and a dollop of goat cheese.  


Thought of the day:

I stand for women's liberation.  I am for everyone having their own opinions and speaking out for what they believe in for the better of this world.  But I also believe that there is far more selfishness in this world than ever before.  I feel that listening to the voices of reason and following in the footsteps of our leaders will be to the benefit of all people.  This verse in Titus is a good reminder to all of us. I found it to be insightful to my constant selfish thoughts.  The more I read it, the more I realized that if everyone did more of what it says, our world would be more peaceful.  

     "Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men."
                                                                                                     - Titus 3:1-2


No comments:

Post a Comment