Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Mellow Lentil "Sniffle" Soup  (to battle those pesky colds)
    - Taken from the cookbook Eat, Drink, and be Vegan by Dreena Burton
1 TBSP olive oil
1 and 1/2 cups onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
3/4 cups carrots, diced
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp sea salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp dried thyme, or 1 tsp fresh
2 cups dry red lentils
3 cups vegetable stock
4 cups water
3 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
2 TBSP apple cider vinegar

In a large pot on medium heat, add the oil, vegetables, and first five spices.  Stir to combine, then cover and cook for 7-8 minutes.  Rinse the lentils.  Add the lentils, the stock, and water to the pot.  Bring the mixture to a boil.  Reduce the heat and cover, simmering for 12-15 minutes.  Add the rosemary and simmer for 15 more minutes.  Stir in the vinegar, then season with salt and pepper just before serving.

"So I commend the enjoyment of life, because nothing is better for a man under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. "
                                           - Ecclesiastes 8:15

If everything comes down to love,
then just what am I afraid of?
When I call out your name
Something inside awakes in my soul
How quickly I forget I'm yours
I'm not my own,
I've been carried by you all my life


Everything rides on hope now
Everything rides on faith somehow
When the world has broken me down 
Your love sets me free.  


When my life is like a storm
Rising waters, all I want is the shore
You say I'll be ok
And make it through the rain
You are
My shelter through the storm


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDXEvkS0iPA&feature=related
                          - Hope Now, by Addison Road

No comments:

Post a Comment