Sunday, November 20, 2011

Home

Stuffed Acorn Squash with Quinoa and Pistachios

4 small acorn squash, halved and seeds removed
4 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1/2 cup feta, crumbled (optional)
1/2 cup roasted, salted pistachios, chopped
2 tsp red-wine vinegar
Pinch red pepper flakes


  Heat the oven to 425 degrees.  Brush squash with 2 TBSP oil and season with salt and pepper.  Roast cu-side down on two baking sheets until tender and caramelized, 15-20 minutes.  Meanwhile, bring quinoa and 2 cups water to a boil in a small pot.  Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until tender and water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.  Let cool, then fluff with a fork.  In a large bowl, combine quinoa, feta, pistachios, remaining oil, and vinegar.  Season with salt and red pepper flakes.  Divide among the squash.  Beautiful presentation and delicious.  An entire meal in itself!


    When my children are running and playing in the neighborhood, they are often too far away to hear me when I holler for them to come home.  I also don't want my neighbors to hear my vocal chords hit their maximum.  So, we mounted an old-fashioned bell to the back porch.  When I ring that bell, even one time, my kids come running home from all directions.  The bell made me think of the trials and hardships that come along during our lives.  Sometimes I feel like those are the ringing bells that guide us home, when we may not be pointing in that direction in the first place.  Remember when you are faced with the next obstacle, conquering that hurdle may the only way to help you return home.

No comments:

Post a Comment