Friday, February 28, 2014

Curried Tofu Salad

Curried Tofu Salad

     Taken from the conscientious omnivore web site, this is my "meat-etarian" husband's very favorite vegan dish.  He makes it for me all the time and eats it for dinner right along side me.  This is my all time favorite dish and packs a punch for healthy living.   

2 packages tofu, extra firm, pressed and diced
2 TBSP soy sauce
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 bunch green onions
1 carrot, peeled and shredded
chopped cilantro, in whatever amount you like (we use about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup raisins
2 oz slivered almonds
1 small "toe" of fresh ginger, minced
1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
juice of 1/2 large lemon
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
4 + tsp curry powder
1 tsp sugar or agave nectar or honey
1 dash of cayenne
a dash of white pepper
several cranks of black pepper

     In a large saucepan over medium to medium high heat, sauté the tofu ( in a bit of olive oil) until browned and firmed.  Ensure that this cooks for a long period of time to allow much of the liquid to evaporate.  Add soy sauce, toss,  and set aside to cool.  In a separate bowl, blend all of the dressing ingredients.  Taste and adjust the seasonings.  Add the tofu and the rest of the ingredients.  Enjoy the family secret!

Time Enough

by Dennis O'Driscoll
The tally of years
added up so rapidly
it appeared I had
been short-changed,
tricked by sleight
of hand, fallen victim
to false bookkeeping.

Yet when I checked
my records, each
and every year had
been accounted for,
down to the last day,
and could be audited
against old diary entries
(client briefings,
dental check-ups,
parent-teacher meetings,
wedding anniversaries),
verified with credit
card statements
(multi-trip insurance,
antibiotics, concert bookings,
mobile top-ups).

And, although
nagging doubts
remained—an
inkling that I had
been ripped off
in some way,
given short shrift,
made to live at an
accelerated pace,
rushed through
my routines with
unseemly haste—
nothing could be proved,
no hard and fast
statistics adduced.

I had, it seems,
unknown to me,
been living my
life to the full.
"Don't lose the meaning behind the trappings of the looks on the outside."
               -taken from "The Nightmare before Christmas" movie

No comments:

Post a Comment