Thursday, December 1, 2011

The treasures of home

Sliced Oranges
     This is a perfect, simple, healthy side to almost any dish during the holiday season.  The time to peel and slice is a bit taxing, but everyone will be able to tell that you love them!  This is wonderful with crepes, waffles, main dishes, and even quinoa salads!

10 navel oranges
grated rind AND juice of one lime and one lemon
2 TBSP agave nectar

     Gently peel nine oranges, making sure that no pith is visible.  Combine the grated rinds, juices and agave nectar in a small bowl.  Thinly slice the oranges and arrange on a platter.  Pour the sweetened juice mixture over the oranges, cover, and refrigerate, basting every few hours with the juices.

A Late Walk
When I go up through the mowing field,
The headless aftermath,
Smooth-laid like thatch with the heavy dew,
Half closes the garden path.

And when I come to the garden round,
The whir of sober birds
Up from the tangle of withered weeds
Is sadder than any words

A tree beside the wall stands bare,
But a leaf that lingered brown,
Disturbed, I doubt not, by my thought,
Comes softly rattling down.

I end not far from my going forth
By picking the faded blue
Of the last remaining aster flower
To carry again to you.
               - Robert Frost

"With pomp, power and glory the world beckons vainly,
   in chase of such vanities why should I roam?
   While peace and content bless my little thatched cottage,
   and warm my own hearth with the treasures of home."
               - Beatrix Potter

     Two days ago, my daughter's little seven year old friend, Emily, died.  She was a beautiful, happy, sweet girl who was always smiling.  Now, she is in God's arms.   Please pray for the family and love your children immensely!  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment