Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Loving our children

Vegan Honey Oatmeal Bread (Use the leftover oatmeal for this recipe)

11/2 cups oatmeal (regular oats, cooked)
1 cup boiling water
3/4 cup warm water
3 pkgs or 3 TBSP yeast
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup canola oil
2 tsp salt
3-4 cups whole wheat flour
4-5 cups unbleached flour

     Pour the boiling water over the oats and mix thoroughly, until broken down.  Cool.  Dissolve the yeast in the warm water until it is foamy.  Add the yeast to the oatmeal mixture and add the honey and oil.  Blend well.  Add the salt.  Add the whole wheat flour, stirring thoroughly after each cup added.          Gradually add the white flour until it forms a soft dough.
     Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.  Place in a greased bowl and allow to rise for one hour.  Punch down and form into 3 loaf pans, or make 2 dozen rolls.  Allow to rise for 20 minutes.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes for the bread, 15 minutes for the rolls.



Lost Childhood
   by David Ignatow

How was it possible, I a father
yet a child of my father? I
grew panicky and thought
of running away but knew
I would be scorned for it
by my father.  I stood
and listened to myself
being called Dad.

How ridiculous it sounded,
but in front of me, asking
for attention- how could I,
a child, ignore this child's plea?
I lifted him into my arms
and hugged him
as I would have
wanted my father to hug me,
and it was as though satisfying
my own lost childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment