Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Walking up a flight of stairs

Vegetarian Potato Puffs

2 large sweet potatoes, or potatoes of any color other than white
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup flour (whole wheat or other)
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste

     Peel and slice the potatoes, then boil them for 15-20 minutes, or until tender.  Mash the potatoes until smooth, then add the rest of the ingredients.  This mixture can be placed in the refrigerator for as long as you want, but must be chilled for at least one hour.

     Heat 2 inches of oil to 350 degrees.  Rolling the mixture into small balls resembling about 1 inch around, roll through flour and then drop into the oil and heat until crispy and golden on the outside.  I tried these in the oven as well (450 degrees) and found that they did not turn out as crispy but were still very good.  My kids loved dipping potato puffs in homemade dressing or hot sauce.


Wedged
by Hal Sirowitz

You were the one who followed me
into the elevator & asked
for my phone number, she said.
I didn't lead you on.  In fact,
I tried discouraging you.
I told you I had lots of problems.
I was used to being alone.  But now
that you've wedged yourself into my life,
don't think leaving me will be as smooth
as our first elevator ride.  It'll be
like walking up a flight of stairs.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment